Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hudson's Birthday Party

Hudson getting excited about his presents!
We matched his cake to his invitation
This is when Hudson was enjoying his cake
    Getting a mouthful!

Saturday was Hudson's first birthday party. I have spent much of my free time time over the last two months thinking through all the small details off how to make this day special, and it was all worth it. It wasn't the decorations or food that made the day special, but the time that we had to spend with family and close friends celebrating the life of our sweet Hudson. Almost all of our guests were from Tulsa and beyond (including Mississippi and Tennessee). What dedicated family!

Hudson loved the company. It was a beautiful fall day so we spent much of it outside. He just started "dancing" and enjoyed showing off his new moves to everyone. It's pretty much just a deep knee bend that he does to music, but we think it's fantastic entertainment.

Opening presents went about as well as I would have predicted. He enjoyed the tissue paper the most. He zeroed in on a few gifts and lost sight of all the other goodies he could enjoy. (Note: He has now had more time to discover all his gifts and is happy with all of them. Thanks guys!)

The cake was a different story. For starters, my wise and experienced sister suggested I put on a t-shirt before Hudson started in with his cake. Should have listened to her. I realized I didn't know what I was doing. While everyone was singing to Hudson, I put his cake in front on him with the lit candle. As I would have guessed, he went straight for the candle flame. I quickly blew that out. Then he went in to discover what this cake was about. He got caught up with the icing and didn't seem very sure about that sticky goo. Once he finally got into the cake he started to get excited. The problem came when he wanted to take a bite of the cake using only his mouth not his hands. We all laughed and got excited. Hudson cried. I think the excitement of the day and the cold he had this week caught up to him. This wasn't so great. So, he wanted me to pick him up and of course he was covered in icing. Grandma(s) came to the rescue quickly to clean him up.

The rest of the day went well. He enjoyed all those who stayed around to visit. I gave him some of his birthday cake on Sunday and let him get right to the good stuff, not just the icing. He enjoyed that much better.

Happy Birthday Hudson! We thank God for giving us such a special, joyful little red-headed boy. We have cherished this year and look forward to all the adventures that are ahead!

No comments: