Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Why 3 is My Favorite


I was warned about " the 3's." Many mothers told me that you only thought 2 was tough. Just wait until they turn 3. Sure enough, days before his third birthday, Hudson decided to try running away from us in public places. I was shocked. Where did this come from? And then there was the night he told me he wanted another Mommy. Yup, he said that! I was crushed. Remembering what those other mothers had said, I just chalked it up to a difficult year ahead.

What I think some of those mothers forgot to mention was how much good comes from a three year old. Sure, they ask even more questions now, and you spend way more time in a bathroom than you ever would have wanted. But there are so many things that I love about Hudson being three. Here are a few...

1) His sweet, sweet nature. Hudson has always complied when I asked for kisses, but now he really kisses me back. He'll also look me straight in the eyes and tell me he loves me. The best is when he does it without my saying so first.

2) His desire to please. He really does want to make us happy, and it's hard work for a little guy. There are so many temptations out there to do wrong (couldn't we all agree with that?!), and their self control is still developing. So I appreciate it when I see him struggle to choose good. Great example last night at dinner. He took his first bite of tomato soup out of obligation- he's always disliked soup. But then we convinced him that it really tasted good. He tried so hard to be excited about the next few bites Jay shoved in his mouth, but the sour face he made as it went down told us he really, really did not like it. It was priceless. We had to bite our tongues not to laugh.

3) How he wants to help. He is so proud of Athan Lane Felker and wants to be the best big brother possible. I love it! His job is to run and get the burp cloth whenever Athan spits up (that's a busy job!). He also insists on turning out the lights and getting Bailey a treat whenever we leave. It really is helpful.

4) It's even more fun. Christmas has been so special this year watching Hudson take it all in. He LOVES all the lights and is so excited by it. He gets things. We go to football games, and he can understand some of what's going on. He is creative and enjoys things he did not before. Example: pictures of dressing up like a train conductor and painting like "Sue Burm" (an elephant who paints on Curious George).

So, for today, here's to the Terrific Three's!!!


No comments: